The final day at the Dodson & Horrell Bolesworth International Horse Show delivered plenty of intense action across all classes, from the ultra-competitive big-money Dodson & Horrell CSI3* Grand Prix to the fun Fancy Dress Mini Major pairs relay.
Dodson & Horrell CSI3* 1.50m Grand Prix
The climax of the week came when title partner Dodson & Horrell’s 1.50m Grand Prix took to the ring and was won by Louise Saywell with Kingsborough Kasper, second was Angelie Von Essen on Daniel and third, Robert Murphy on How Easy.
This highly-revered event has been developed for the best of the best, it’s the one the riders aspire to win and is a huge test for both horse and rider. After a two-phase qualifying, 50 riders were seeded through to the main event to tackle the tightly-timed course, with its big and bold, yet delicate jumps.
The top 13 riders went through to a jump-off where the only three to go clear in the main event, put in faultless performances to fill the podium.
Nina Takes Home Win
Bolesworth’s managing director Nina Barbour donned her riding boots this morning to win the opening class of the day on home turf. She won the Röwer & Rüb Amateur 1.25m Grand Prix on her 12-year-old mare Ardis. “I’m delighted with my horse Ardis,” said Nina. “She is actually owned by my mum Diana Barbour. She’s back from injury which has taken a few years. She’s a little star and I’m really happy with her.”
Mini Majors at Bolesworth
The Le Mieux CSI3* Mini Major is a firm favourite at Bolesworth. All kitted out in fancy dress, pony riders pair up with a top international rider in a thrilling competition to each complete a showjumping round in the quickest time, with the fewest faults. The youngsters delighted the Bolesworth crowd with their skill and determination. Guy Williams with team-mate Alex Leggott won the class in convincing style.
Edwards Wins First-Ever Puissance
Saturday evening, the 2nd of July, nine riders lined-up for the Bolesworth eVetDrug CSI3* Puissance, where first-timers Mark Edwards with Montreuxs Tale took the win jumping to an impressive 2.19m. “It was the first time for both of us. A new experience, and what a way to do it. This horse has jumped Nations Cups and he won the Queen’s Cup last year. He’s a really good Grand Prix horse,” said Edwards.
Sunday Day 5 Results Roundup
Dodson & Horrell CSI3* 1.50m Grand Prix
1. Louise Saywell/Kingsborough Kasper, 2. Angelie Von Essen/Daniel, 3. Robert Murphy/How Easy, 4. Adrian Speight/Millfield Balony, 5. Anna Power/McQueen, 6. Yazmin Davis/Zanbowa Z, 7. William Funnell/Equine America Billy Diamo, 8. Anthony Condon/Sfs Vincomte, 9. Annabel Shields/Creevagh Carisma, 10. David Simpson/Medoc de Toxandria.
Röwer & Rüb Amateur 1.25m Grand Prix
1. Nina Barbour/Ardis, 2. Tony Pearson/Berlin, 3. Dafydd Watkin Jones/Quando de L’Ecuyer
Le Mieux CSI3* Mini Major
1. Guy Williams/Alex Leggott, 2. Jay Halim/Summer Weirzbicki, 3. Robert Murphy/Annabel Widdowson.
Cavago CSI3* 1.35m
1. Harry Wainwright/Pinheiro Beech, 2. Louise Saywell/Sharp Image, 3. Mark Edwards/Ede Peasy.
Al Shira’aa CSI-YH 7-year-old Final
1. James Whitaker/Just Call Me Henry, 2. Louise Saywell/King Blue, 3. James Smith/Wicked Vancouver.
Beaverbrooks CSI YH 5-year-old Final
1. Emma Stoker/Comme Ci, Comme Ca, 2. Drew Walton/Solid Gold Hs Z, 3. Carmen Edwards/Escape The Gossip.
Equitop GLME CSI1* 1.25m
1. Simon Crippen/Billy Kvitfell, 2. Corinne Collins/Dolores P, 3. Charlene Bastone/Jacpot
Horseware Ireland CSI1* 1.35m
1. Joanne McGlory/G. Zara Zing, 2. Eve McCoy/Ella, 3. Ella Quigley/One To Go
JCL Insurance Brokers CSI-P 1.30m
1. Dafydd Watkin Jones/Trevor, 2. Phoebe Farlan/Teach More Joey, 3. Eve McCoy/Moores Pride
Saturday, Day 4 results:
eVetDrug CSI3* Puissance:
1. Mark Edwards, Montreuxs Tale, 2. Guy Williams, Mr Blue Sky, 3. Daniel McAlinden, Chapristi.
Coming Up At Bolesworth
Sunflower Picking Patch and Aladdin Maze, 20 August – 4 September
Summer at Bolesworth will see the venue stage its very first Summer Sunflower Maze, providing a day out to remember. In partnership with Maize Maze experts Picking Patch, daytime activities will delight all ages as the glorious sunflowers provide a happy picking-place and a lovely backdrop to Bolesworth’s bee-friendly wildflower collection.
Keep an eye on our website for more information at bolesworth.com/events!